Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Left Hand Blues Patterns

I am going to spend the next few weeks discussing some of the left hand blues piano patterns I teach in my new piano blues DVD. The first pattern I discuss in my video is just a simple quarter note boogie woogie pattern. It's a great pattern to play in both rock and blues settings. Simple and really effective.

I go into much greater detail and explanation in the video but for right now keep this in mind: On beats 1 and 3 you're playing root and fifth together. On beats 2 and 4 you're playing root and 6th together. A good example of this pattern can be found here. Scroll down on the page to the "Blues Keys" section and click on "Sunny Day Solo Blues". I actually recorded this track specifically for my piano students to learn from.

Remember to keep it in the pocket and swinging. Your rhythmic inflection is just as important as your note selection. Let me know how it works for you and enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment